Thomas W. Bain

Dates:  b.1855 d. 2 April 1921

Cemetery Location: Block F, Row 15, Plot 19

Profile:

Originally from Lanark County, Ontario, Thomas Wilbert Bain moved to Illecillewaet, British Columbia, in April 1885. After founding Thomas Bain Mining Co., he established the Laurie Mines at Illecillewaet and the Dunvegan Mines south of Flat Creek.

On 9 Jan 1889, Thomas married Mary McRae in Ottawa and they lived together at the mining camp at Illecillewaet until 1890, when they acquired farming land along the Fraser River, near Dewney, B.C.  The couple had three daughters: Mrs. Nellie MacDonald, Mrs. Tessie Barton and Mrs. Alice “Allie” Paterson.

The Bains farmed at Dewney until they lost everything in the flood of 1894; moving back to Revelstoke where Tom would prospect for the next five years. When Revelstoke was incorporated in 1899, Tom became the city’s first chief of police.  He retired from the force in 1910 and became jail warden until his death in 1921, aged 66.

Thomas was prominent in Masonic circles. He was a past master of Kootenay Lodge, past principal of the Revelstoke Chapter, Revelstoke Arch Masons and Knights Templar. He was also a past grand master of Selkirk Lodge IOOF and a member of Gold Range Lodge, Knights of Pythias.

On the day of his funeral, the city hall flag flew at half-mast, the fire hall bell tolled for 20 minutes and businesses closed for an hour – a fitting tribute to one of Revelstoke’s earliest pioneers.