Charles Ambro Davis

Dates: b. Yorkshire, England, 1877 d. Taft, 1 August 1912

Cemetery Location: Block C, Row 3, Plot 41


The sudden death of English-born Charles Davis, Presbyterian student and missionary at Taft and Three Valley (approximately 20 kilometers west of Revelstoke) in August 1912, was a shock to the town.

Apparently Charles was onboard a logging train, seated in the front car with one foot hanging over. When the train mounted a steep grade, jerking the cars, Charles was thrown from the car and struck on the head by a brake beam, the blow proving fatal.

At the time of the accident, Charles was 35 years old and a student of Manitoba College. Charles had filled the pulpit for Rev. Stevenson in Revelstoke, and was a widely travelled individual (he had been a missionary to the soldiers in India).

Alpin Dewar

Dates: b. 1882 d. 9 July 1909

Cemetery Location: Block F, Row 9, Plot 26


On 9 July 1909, Canadian Pacific Railway engineer Alpin Dewar and his fireman J. Beattie were killed when their train left the tracks near Griffith Siding, east of Rogers Pass. The engine and several cars rolled down an embankment, striking a telegraph pole and throwing Alpin from the train. Nine other crewmembers on board escaped serious injury.

It was thought that the track may have expanded in the heat causing the derailment, but the Coroner’s inquest was inconclusive. The jury found no evidence to indicate the train was travelling at excessive speed or out of control. They also found that:

“the train was equipped with a sufficient crew, the said crew were giving proper attention to their duties, and safety appliances were in good working order.”

Alpin had been a long-term resident of Revelstoke and left behind his wife Annie and child. He was only 27 years old at the time of the accident, and J. Beattie, just 25.

Six weeks later, Annie’s brother Stewart McGuire drowned in Loon Lake, near Phoenix, B.C. According to his obituary, Stewart was a well-liked Revelstoke resident who worked at Bews Drug and Stationery Store.

William & Sarah Dickey

William & Sarah Dickey, c.1920.

William & Sarah Dickey, c.1920.


William Dickey: b. Ontario, 7 September 1859 d. November 1922

Sarah Dickey: b. Manitoba, 1861 d. 17 April 1939

Cemetery Location:

William Dickey: Block E, Row 1, Plot 53

Sarah Dickey: Block E, Row 1, Plot 53


William John Dickey was born near Barrie, Ontario, in 1859. Moving west with the Canadian Pacific Railway construction, he was struck by the beauty of the mountains in British Columbia, and in 1886 chose to settle in Revelstoke.

On 9 November 1887, William married Sarah Amanda Banting at Metheun, Manitoba, and they had three children: Benjamin John, William Earle and Shella Dickey.

William was a member of Revelstoke’s first school board, and in 1903, appointed dominion fire ranger. Later, when Revelstoke was made sub-agency of the Kamloops district, he became the first dominion land agent, a position he held until 1911.

In 1899, the Dickeys built a home on First Street on the site of the present Revelstoke Museum & Archives, later moving to the northwest corner of Third Street and Rokeby Avenue.  John died in November 1922 – the local children lining the street to say goodbye as his funeral procession drove by.

Sarah Dickey was an accomplished musician, playing the organ for the Methodists, Presbyterians and Anglicans on alternate Sundays. She also sang in the senior choir at the Methodist Church. Her sons, Benjamin and William, played the trombone and French horn, and both were members of the local band. Her daughter, Shella, was well known throughout B.C. as a talented pianist and music teacher.

Sarah was also an active member of the Methodist Ladies Aid and she taught at Sunday School until the week before her death, aged 78, in 1939.

William & Norah Fleming


William Fleming: b. Clinton, Ontario, 22 June 1868 d. February 1935

Norah Fleming: b. USA, 8 July 1867 d. August 1938

 Cemetery Location:

William Fleming: Block G, Row 14, Plot 52

Norah Fleming: Block G, Row 14, Plot 53


Ontario-born William Fleming came to Revelstoke in 1889, where he worked for the city, relocating the schoolhouse and Catholic Church. Later, William worked as a butcher for P. Burns & Co., and for a while operated a butcher shop of his own.

In October 1891, William married Norah Mullaney from Pennsylvania (she met William on a trip to Revelstoke to visit her sister) and had seven children: Tom, Mamie, William G. (Tick), Laele, Jean, Frank and Eva.

In 1928, William was appointed government road superintendent, and became specialized in mattress work to prevent further erosion from the banks of the Columbia River.  His experience took him across the province to advise communities in the management of erosion.

In February 1935, after returning from a work trip to Bella Coola, William became ill with pneumonia and died at the age of 65.

Frank Alfred Ford

Saint Peter's Anglican Church and rectory, Revelstoke.

Saint Peter's Anglican Church and rectory, Revelstoke.

Dates: b. 1868 d. 27 January 1899

Cemetery location: Block C, Row 6, Plot 17


Frank Ford was the vicar at St. Peter’s Anglican Church from 1897 until his death in 1899. He had come to Canada from Plymouth, England.  At the end of January 1899, he traveled by train to Rogers Pass to visit some parishioners there. On the way back the train stopped briefly at Albert Canyon and Rev. Ford stepped off to speak to someone on the platform.  As the train started to pull away, Rev. Ford ran to board the train, but slipped and fell under the wheels. He was brought to the private hospital at the top of Douglas Street, but did not survive. 

The parish was devastated by his death and created memorials to him, including the marker in the cemetery, and a memorial plaque in the church.  A photograph in the museum reveals this gravesite used to have picket fence around it.

Fred Forrest

Group standing in front of Waverley Mines shed, Albert Canyon, 1897.

Group standing in front of Waverley Mines shed, Albert Canyon, 1897.

Dates: b. Scotland, 1872 d. 17 March 1947

Cemetery Location: Block G, Row 10, Plot 15


Frederick Elliott Forrest was born in Leith, Scotland, in 1872. His father, Charles Forrest, was a partner in Forrest & Turnbull, a sugar importing company. After some time in Belgian Congo (Zaire), Fred moved to British Columbia in 1897 to work for The Gold Fields of British Columbia, a British company that operated the Tangier and Waverley Mines at Albert Canyon.

By 1899, the mines had closed down, but Fred remained in Albert Canyon for 50 years, working as the local fire warden for much of this time. He also published the quirky Albert Canyon newspaper. 

According to his obituary, Fred spent almost every Saturday in Revelstoke, bringing with him beautiful bouquets from his garden to give away to the locals.

Fred was active in political circles in the early days as a Liberal and in 1907, largely financed the campaign of the late A.B. Cayley, unsuccessful Liberal candidate in the local riding.  Records also show Fred once petitioned the Minister of Public Works to install a fish ladder at the dam on the Illecillewaet River, which he regarded as an ‘insurmountable obstacle’ to fish.

At the time of his death on 17 March 1947, aged 75, Fred was survived by a brother L.S. Forrest, Oxford, England; a sister, Mrs. C.L. Gilby, Exeter, England; a sister-in-law, Mrs. J.M. Forrest; a nephew and three nieces in Courtenay.

Christianziano Fossacceca (Matz)

Dates: b. 1859 d. 12 March 1933

Cemetery location: Block H, Row 26, Plot 23


Christianziano Fossacceca came to Canada in the 1880s, working west with the railway construction. He worked at the roundhouse in Donald, then transferred to Revelstoke in the late 1890s.

Christianziano smoked a pipe and when he was not using matches to relight his pipe, he was chewing on them. The CPR time keeper refused to write out his name, which earned him the nickname “Jack Match.” Fossacceca adopted the name, but spelled it Matz. He married the sister of Louis Catlin, and they had one son and six daughters, some of whom were baptized as Fossacceca, and some as Matz.

Posted on September 19, 2016 and filed under Italian, catholic.

Dominic Gallicano

Dominic Gallicano (right) outside bakery, date unknown.

Dominic Gallicano (right) outside bakery, date unknown.

Dates: b. Italy, 1863 d. 12 January 1947

Cemetery Location: Block J, Row 26, Plot 35


Dominic Gallicano emigrated to Donald, British Columbia, from Italy in 1893 to work for the Canadian Pacific Railway. A year later, Dominic returned to Italy to marry, and brought his wife, Henrietta Defeo, and 6-month old son, Tangres, to Donald in 1895.

Not long after their daughter Eda was born, the family moved to Revelstoke, settling about 100 yards from the railway tracks. The passenger trains in those days did not carry dining cars, so Dominic began baking bread (out of a large brick oven in his yard) to sell to passengers, along with milk and groceries.

By July 1899, Dominic had established a grocery store on Mackenzie Avenue (his two-storey building at 210 Mackenzie Avenue was the first on that block) and in December 1899, his bakery opened on the corner of Second Street and Victoria Road. 

Dominic continued to work for the railway for almost 20 years while running the two stores. In 1915, the bakery was moved into the newly-built concrete building next to the grocery store – the Sally Ann Bakery – and the family operated the business until 1988.

The Gallicanos had seven children: two boys and five girls. Dominic died on 12 January 1947, at the age of 84.

Gallicano bakery, 1915.

Gallicano bakery, 1915.

Dominic Gallicano (seated) with daughters Eda and Sylvia and son Tangree, c.1918.

Dominic Gallicano (seated) with daughters Eda and Sylvia and son Tangree, c.1918.

Thomas & Alice Griffiths

Alice Griffiths, November 1962.

Alice Griffiths, November 1962.


Thomas Griffiths: b.1877 d. 14 March 1964

Alice Griffiths: b.1884 d. 16 October 1980

Cemetery Location:

Thomas Griffiths: Block F, Row 1, Plot 42

Alice Mary Griffiths: Block F, Row 1, Plot 41


Thomas and Alice Griffiths were born in England in the late 1800s. Tom spent his youth in Australia and New Zealand, and after serving in the Boer War, returned to England, where he married Alice. The couple immigrated to Canada with their baby daughter, Esther, in 1906.

Initially the family settled north of Winnipeg in Strathclair, where they endured a record- breaking cold winter. The Griffiths then moved to Calgary, where Tom was employed at P. Burns and Company, and in 1907 he was transferred to Revelstoke. The day after the family arrived in Revelstoke, Alice recalled waking up to a beautiful April morning, and said to her husband:

“Oh look at that lovely mountain. Oh isn’t it lovely? It must be heaven, let’s stay!”

After living several years in town, the Griffiths purchased two and a half acres of forested land at ‘Three-mile Crossing’, west of Revelstoke (The Big Eddy) and the family lived in a tent that summer while their house was built.

Life for the early settlers of the Big Eddy district was tough. In the early days the area was only accessible via the railway bridge over the Columbia River, and until the traffic bridge was opened in 1910, the walk over the railway bridge to Revelstoke was, in Alice’s words, “very frightening”.

By 1911, the Griffiths had four children and finding their house too small, bought a further five acres where they built a larger home. Tom worked at the rock quarry while they developed their land into a productive farm with vegetables, horses, cows and pigs.

In the early 1920s, Tom purchased 15 acres of land on the Columbia River, east of Griffiths Road. He built a large log cabin (‘Uncle Tom’s Cabin’), where the Griffiths hosted parties and visiting family.

In 1930s and early ‘40s, the Griffiths operated the experimental station of the Department of Agriculture on their land.  Every summer they hosted a field day to inspect the results of the harvest, and the event was attended by agriculturalists from all over Canada.

Tom and Alice had six children: three daughters and four sons. Tom died in Vancouver in 1964 at the age of 86, and Alice in Revelstoke in 1980, at the age of 96.

Griffith family farm, Big Eddy, Revelstoke.

Griffith family farm, Big Eddy, Revelstoke.

Dr. James Henry and Mary Stearns Hamilton

Mary and Dr. Hamilton at the original Revelstoke CPR Station, date unknown.

Mary and Dr. Hamilton at the original Revelstoke CPR Station, date unknown.


James Hamilton: b. Rockwood, Ontario, 1882 d. Revelstoke, 1938

Mary Hamilton: b. Washington, DC, 1889 d. Vancouver, 25 December 1959

Cemetery Location:

Mary Hamilton: Block G, Row 10, Plot 63

James Hamilton: Block G, Row 4, Plot 54


Affectionately known by Revelstoke locals as ‘Doc Ham’, James Harry Hamilton was born in Rockwood, Ontario, in 1882. Harry’s mother died of tuberculosis when he was just one year old. His grandparents raised him while his father John worked for the Canadian Pacific Railway in British Columbia.

After graduating in medicine, James joined his father in Nelson, B.C., where he worked as a doctor’s assistant for one year. In 1904, Harry transferred to Arrowhead to work at the local hospital before moving to Revelstoke in 1906.

Dr. Hamilton married Mary Stearns Silcott of Revelstoke in 1910 and they had three children: John, Marjorie (Nookie) and Joan. John also became a doctor, studying at Cambridge University before returning to Canada. 

In 1910 and 1911, Dr. Hamilton was elected mayor of Revelstoke and lobbied for the construction of the road to summit of Mount Revelstoke. He was also involved in having the mountain designated a national park.

A veteran of World War I, Dr. Hamilton helped rehabilitate returned soldiers. He also served as police magistrate for some time, as well as health officer and coroner.

A keen sportsman, he was just 57 when he died from a heart attack on his way home from a curling tournament in Vernon.

Mary Stearns Hamilton died on Christmas day, 1959 in Vancouver at the age of 72. Her body was brought to Revelstoke for burial. 

Mary Hamilton and bridal party, Holten House, Revelstoke, 1910. 

Mary Hamilton and bridal party, Holten House, Revelstoke, 1910. 

Douglas Hector

Dates: b. 1877 d. 15 August 1903

Cemetery location: Block F, Row 7, Plot 54


The gravesite of Douglas Hector represents a piece of Canadian history.  The marker reads:  “Douglas Hector, of Wellington, New Zealand.  Died August 15, 1903.  Aged 26 years.”

Douglas Hector was the son of James Hector, an explorer who was responsible for the surveying of the Kicking Horse Pass. James Hector was trained as a medical doctor and geologist in Scotland. In the late 1850s, he joined the Palliser Expedition to map the Canadian west and look for a suitable pass through the Rocky Mountains for a railway. Hector and a small group of men were exploring the area around Field when his horse kicked him in the chest. Hector was rendered unconscious, and his companions actually believed he was dead. They were digging his grave when he came to, but Hector was in very bad shape. He asked one of his companions to make up a medical mixture at his instructions, but the man was terrified he would get the blame if Hector died, so he asked Hector to sign a waiver before he would administer the medicine. 

After the completion of the Palliser Expedition, Hector made his way to New Zealand, where he was involved in more survey work. He established his family there and was eventually named Chancellor of the University of New Zealand. In 1903, the CPR invited him to return to Canada and give talks to interested groups across the country.  He decided to bring one of his sons, Douglas.  The pair traveled by boat to Vancouver where they got on a train and began their journey.  They made it to Glacier House in Rogers Pass, and Sir James was regaling his audience with the story of the Kicking Horse Pass when Douglas became ill.  He was rushed to the Queen Victoria Cottage Hospital with appendicitis, but he died of peritonitis after his appendix burst.  Sir James was devastated by his son’s death, but because of the difficulty of getting the body back to New Zealand, the decision was made to bury him in Revelstoke.  A few CPR officials and distinguished visitors at Glacier House attended the funeral and Sir James returned to New Zealand.

Almost a year later, Arthur O. Wheeler, who was working on the geographical survey of the Selkirk Range, and T.D. Kilpatrick, CPR superintendent at Revelstoke, decided to raise money for a monument for Douglas Hector, and also for a monument in honour of Sir James’s achievements during the Palliser Expedition. Finally, in June 1906, almost three years after Douglas’s death, the memorials were put in place.  The plaque to honour Sir James was placed at Laggan (now Lake Louise) and later moved to the Great Divide.

The memorial stone for Douglas’s gravesite was described in the Mail-Herald newspaper on 2 June 1906:

“…Hewn out of granite, chiseled, polished and inscribed at the CPR quarries, was shaped a monument which shall endure as long as the mountains. The laying of the monument has just been completed.  It is a beautiful yet massive piece of work. The stone selected is the big-grained granite of the Cascade Range, polished and hewn to the size and shape of the grave on which it is laid horizontally, set on a basement of the finer-grained granite, of which the CPR corner stones are cut.”
Kicking Horse Valley, c.1915. Douglas's father James Hector surveyed the Rocky Mountains for CPR in the late 1850s.   

Kicking Horse Valley, c.1915. Douglas's father James Hector surveyed the Rocky Mountains for CPR in the late 1850s.


Holten Family

Charlie, Lyda and Drennan Holten, date unknown.

Charlie, Lyda and Drennan Holten, date unknown.


Charles Holten: b. 1870 d. 13 October 1918

Lyda (Eliza) Holten: b. 1877 d. 22 November 1942

Cemetery location: Block J, Row 21, Plot 32


Charles Holten came to Revelstoke in 1885 and was one of the first successful miners in the Lardeau, discovering the Silver Cup Mine in the hills above Trout Lake. He made a considerable amount of money with the sale of the mining property and with his partner Thomas Downs established Enterprise Brewery on Charles Avenue.

Charles Holten was bor Carl Hultengren in Sweden, but does not admit to his Swedish heritage in the census records. He also gives a different date of birth in various records. In November of 1897 he married Lyda (Eliza) Edwards, and built his beautiful home at the top of First Street hill (currently known as Mustang Bed and Breakfast). The house was the site of many Anglican Church and Red Cross Society fundraisers.

Lyda’s father, Charles Edwards, took over the management of the Victoria Hotel from William Cowan. In his obituary, it was noted that he had been a sea captain in Australia. He had come to Revelstoke in around 1894 with his wife Mary, daughter Lyda, sons James and Edward, and James’s young daughter, Mary.

Family records prove that Charles Edwards was actually Craven Silcott, who had been a cashier at the House of Representatives Bank in Ohio. He was accused of absconding with large amounts of money from the bank.

The Holten home, 1221 Front Street, Revelstoke.

The Holten home, 1221 Front Street, Revelstoke.

Daniel Edward Jackson

Dates: b. 1870 d. 14 January 1912

Cemetery Location: Block H, Row 19, Plot 16


Daniel Edward Jackson was born in Montreal in 1869, moving to Revelstoke to work as a machinist for the Canadian Pacific Railway around 1900. He was killed in an avalanche at Rogers Pass on 14 January 1912, at the age of 42.

According to the Mail Herald newspaper, Daniel was hurrying to help a derailed eastbound train when the avalanche struck the train he and the other rescuers were travelling on, two miles east of Rogers Pass.

Daniel had worked for the CPR in Revelstoke for 13 years. He was also a prominent member of the Machinists Union and served for one year on the Executive of the Conservative Association of Revelstoke.

He and his wife Rose had seven children: Frank, Alexander, Grace, Tannis, Arthur, Florence and Vivian. After the accident, the family moved east around 1916.

Frank Julian (Juliano)

Dates: b. Italy, 1952 d. Revelstoke, 21 September 1910

Cemetery location: Block H, Row 31, Plot 29


Frank Julian was born Francesco Juliano in Italy. The family came to Revelstoke in 1894, settling on a farm on the lower loop road just south of town. In 1904, they built and moved into a home at 411 Second Street East. Before coming to Revelstoke, Julian had lived in Chicago and San Francisco. It was believed that he had crossed the “Black Hand” at some point.

In July 1909, Julian’s son-in-law, Frank Orsetti, was the victim of a stabbing outside the Julian home. The assailants were caught and sent to prison.

The following year in September 1910, Frank was clearing his farmland near the Illecillewaet River when he met up with three Italian transients who agreed to help him for board and pay. He left the house on Second Street on 21 September 1910, telling his family he would be back that evening. The next day he had not returned, and his family contacted the police, who sent out a search party. Louis Cashato discovered Frank’s body, covered with brush near his clearing.

Julian had been attacked from behind with one of his own axes, receiving a deep gash in the head and another across the throat. His forehead had been marked with a black cross, which could not be removed. This was believed to be the mark of the Black Hand. A piece of his skin was sent to Ottawa for identification, and it was determined only that it was a corrosive substance.

The murder was never solved. The three men who planned to work for him were found and cleared.

Jennie Kiobara (Kiohara)

Dates: b. Japan, 1881 d. Revelstoke, 1905

Cemetery location: Block F, Row 3, Plot 26


Jennie was a 24-year old Japanese woman working as a prostitute on Front Street. She had been in Revelstoke since at least 1903, based on the city police reports. On 19 April 1905, she was found murdered in her house. 

There was no such thing as publication bans then, and the newspaper reported the murder in graphic detail:

“The woman’s throat was cut in front and there was a frightful gash on the back of the neck so that the head was nearly severed from the body.  The woman’s hands were cut and hacked where she had struggled to obtain possession of the knife or ward off the work of the assassin, whose butchery was of the fiendish description…” 

The murderer was compared to Jack the Ripper. The paper went on to describe the murder scene and the knife used. Wah Chung, a wealthy Chinese merchant who owned the house Jennie lived in, paid for Jennie’s tombstone. It was believed that he had had a romantic relationship with Jennie, as well as being her pimp. He was under suspicion for her death, but was never charged.

There is a story that someone, a white man, confessed to Jennie’s death many years later on his deathbed. The information was given to the local police who told the widow of the man who had been police chief at the time. The woman asked the current police officer to tell Wah Chung, since he had been under suspicion for so many years. According to the story, after Wah Chung was told, he said, “Now I can die in peace,” and he passed away within a few months. There is no way of knowing whether this story is true.

Tragically, Jennie was taken from her home in Japan to work as a prostitute in Canada, and then treated with contempt by the Japanese community. The story in the Kootenay Mail ends with this sad commentary: 

“The Japanese and women of the neighbourhood refuse to assist the police by giving information. The Japanese say that the woman was no good and not worth hanging a man for.”

Andrew Kitson

Andy Kitson at Birch Creek Lodge, September 1938.

Andy Kitson at Birch Creek Lodge, September 1938.

Dates: b. Belfast, Ireland, 20 May 1877 d. 2 April 1955

Cemetery Location: Block G, Row 3, Plot 22


Irish-born Andrew (Andy) Kitson arrived in Revelstoke in 1903, where he became one of the area’s most renowned prospectors, venturing up and down the Columbia River to mines up the Big Bend. The writer Lewis Freeman described him in his book, Down the Columbia, as:

“a big Husky North-of-Irelander,” who was “deliberate and sparing of speech most of the time, but with a fine reserve vocabulary for emergency use.”

Andy worked for Ed Bradley on his prospecting claims at French Creek and took part in the construction of the Big Bend and Standard Basin trails. Later, he prospected at Standard Basin and then Carnes Creek in partnership with Elijah McBean, and between 1911 and 1919 took over the operation of the pack train in the Big Bend from George Laforme, in partnership with Jim Shields.

Andy continued working his Carnes Creek claims for many years, and died at the age of 78 in Kamloops, on 2 April 1955.

Andy Kitson's pack horses on Victoria Road, Revelstoke.

Andy Kitson's pack horses on Victoria Road, Revelstoke.

Kwong Family

Wong Kwong at left, Yee Von Kwong seated in centre, and their children Sam and Jean to her left, circa 1914.

Wong Kwong at left, Yee Von Kwong seated in centre, and their children Sam and Jean to her left, circa 1914.


Wong Kwong: b. China 1876 d. 10 February 1932

Yee Von Kwong: b. China, 21 August 1877 d. 16 July 1973

Cemetery Location:

Wong Kwong: Block F, Row 1, Plot 13


Wong Kwong was in Revelstoke in the late 1890s. He could read and write both Chinese and English and became a labour contractor for the CPR. Wong also operated stores and a laundry in town.

He brought his wife, Yee Von Kwong to Revelstoke in about 1907, and their ten children were born here. One died as a child. Wong Kwong died in 1932, when the youngest son, Jimmy, was just five.

Mrs. Kwong continued to run the laundry, and paid off all her husband’s debts. Her feet were bound in the old Chinese tradition, and she used canes to help her walk. All of the children were educated, and oldest daughter Jean became the first nurse of Chinese ancestry to graduate in Canada in the 1930s. Son, Johnny Kwong, once owned Mannings Restaurant and Chalet Restaurant.

George Laforme

George Laforme, c.1940.

George Laforme, c.1940.

Dates: b. 1861 d. 30 December 1939

Cemetery Location: Block C, Row 8, Plot 35


A key figure in the early mining days of Revelstoke, George Laforme left his home in Saint-Hyacinthe, Quebec, to follow the Canadian Pacific Railway construction westward.

In May 1885 he arrived in Revelstoke and began prospecting, establishing his famous pack train business in 1889, which provided supplies to miners and trappers in the Big Bend area for 16 years.

A disastrous trip in November 1896 – which cost him $1,500 and the lives of 27 pack animals in treacherous weather conditions – was legendary. On another occasion, 24 mules and 11 horses had to be put down to prevent the animals – stranded in deep snow and ice – from starvation.

George acquired his well-known farm near the Revelstoke Golf Course around 1896, growing cherries and strawberries for the prairie and local markets.

At the time of his death in 1939, aged 78, George left behind his wife, Gertie, and son, George.

George Laforme's pack train on Front Street.

George Laforme's pack train on Front Street.

Thomas & Mary Lewis


Thomas Lewis: b. 1846 d. 29 October 1917

Mary Lewis: b. 1843 d. July 1918

Cemetery Location:

Thomas Lewis: Block C, Row 12, Plot 27

Mary Lewis: Block C, Row 12, Plot 26


Thomas Lewis and his wife, Mary (Davis), immigrated to Canada from Shropshire, England, settling in Revelstoke in 1890. Thomas was a blacksmith for the Canadian Pacific Railway and they were both members of the Presbyterian Church, where Thomas served on the board in 1905.  The Lewis’s had seven children: Thomas, Frank, Herbert, Robert, Charles, Henry, Edith and Margaret.

Thomas A. Lewis Junior, born 22 August 1874, was a rancher and dairy farmer and purchased an express and draying business from J. Henderson in 1907, which he named Revelstoke Cartage Co. He was killed in France on 21 August 1917, at the age of 42; the oldest World War I recruit from Revelstoke to die in service.

Frank Bernard Lewis, born 5 October 1876, became a prominent Revelstoke businessman, operating a general merchandise business in Revelstoke until 1900, and then switching to insurance, real estate and the mining business.

David & James Lyttle (Little)


James T. Lyttle: b. 1867 d. 11 November 1898

David Lyttle: b. 1875 d. 3 April 1905

Cemetery Location:

James T. Lyttle: Block C, Row 6, Plot 24

David Lyttle: Block C, Row 6, Plot 30


On 10 November 1898, engineer James Lyttle suffered severe injuries in a freight train accident, 1½ miles east of Shuswap, British Columbia. He died the following day.

The explosion of the engine boiler, discovered about 20 feet from the overturned cars, was most likely the cause of the incident, which also killed brakeman A. E. Reid and injured one other crewmember.

The sympathy of the community was evident in the large numbers who attended the funerals of Lyttle and Reid. Covering the funerals of both men, the Herald newspaper wrote, “While railroading has its certain dangers, we are apt to forget that much of the loss of life and maiming of good men is largely unnecessary; that it is due to the neglect and indifference on the part of corporations.”

At the time of his death, James had a wife, Isabella J. Lyttle, and a young son, Frederick. Another son, James, had died at the age of one year, just a few months prior to his father's death.

Sadly, seven years later, James’s brother David Lyttle was also killed in a CPR accident, six miles from Golden. The freight train ran into a rockslide and was derailed, the locomotive and four cars going over the embankment into the Kicking Horse River below. Engineer Lyttle was caught under the wrecked engine and killed instantly, while Fireman Dickey had an arm and two legs broken (he later died in Golden hospital). The rock that had caused the accident was so large that it had to be blasted out afterwards.

David was just 30 years old when he died, leaving behind a widow and two young daughters.