Posts tagged #butcher

William & Norah Fleming

Dates:

William Fleming: b. Clinton, Ontario, 22 June 1868 d. February 1935

Norah Fleming: b. USA, 8 July 1867 d. August 1938

 Cemetery Location:

William Fleming: Block G, Row 14, Plot 52

Norah Fleming: Block G, Row 14, Plot 53

Profiles:

Ontario-born William Fleming came to Revelstoke in 1889, where he worked for the city, relocating the schoolhouse and Catholic Church. Later, William worked as a butcher for P. Burns & Co., and for a while operated a butcher shop of his own.

In October 1891, William married Norah Mullaney from Pennsylvania (she met William on a trip to Revelstoke to visit her sister) and had seven children: Tom, Mamie, William G. (Tick), Laele, Jean, Frank and Eva.

In 1928, William was appointed government road superintendent, and became specialized in mattress work to prevent further erosion from the banks of the Columbia River.  His experience took him across the province to advise communities in the management of erosion.

In February 1935, after returning from a work trip to Bella Coola, William became ill with pneumonia and died at the age of 65.

Florence (Frank) McCarty

Revelstoke's first mayor, Frank McCarty.

Revelstoke's first mayor, Frank McCarty.

Dates: b. 1854 d. 1920

Cemetery location: Block H, Row 32, Plot 33

Profile:

McCarty and his wife Mary were born in Wisconsin, USA. They came to Canada in 1883, following the railway construction across the country. They lived at Laggan (Lake Louise) for a while, cutting fuel for the old wood burner locomotives.

By 1889, the McCartys were operating a boarding house on the hill above the CPR station. It was advertised as a temperance house with board and lodging at $5 per week. Individual meals were 25 cents and beds were 25 cents a night.

Frank McCarty ran a butcher shop, was involved in the mining business, and also a part owner of the SS Revelstoke.

Frank became Revelstoke’s first mayor after the city was incorporated in March 1899. They built their family home that year at the corner of Mackenzie Avenue and Third Street. He later ran a livery business and steam laundry and owned a 60 acre ranch across the Illecillewaet River. He died in June of 1920.

McCarty home on Third & Mackenzie Streets.

McCarty home on Third & Mackenzie Streets.