Posts tagged #boarding house

Florence (Frank) McCarty

Revelstoke's first mayor, Frank McCarty.

Revelstoke's first mayor, Frank McCarty.

Dates: b. 1854 d. 1920

Cemetery location: Block H, Row 32, Plot 33

Profile:

McCarty and his wife Mary were born in Wisconsin, USA. They came to Canada in 1883, following the railway construction across the country. They lived at Laggan (Lake Louise) for a while, cutting fuel for the old wood burner locomotives.

By 1889, the McCartys were operating a boarding house on the hill above the CPR station. It was advertised as a temperance house with board and lodging at $5 per week. Individual meals were 25 cents and beds were 25 cents a night.

Frank McCarty ran a butcher shop, was involved in the mining business, and also a part owner of the SS Revelstoke.

Frank became Revelstoke’s first mayor after the city was incorporated in March 1899. They built their family home that year at the corner of Mackenzie Avenue and Third Street. He later ran a livery business and steam laundry and owned a 60 acre ranch across the Illecillewaet River. He died in June of 1920.

McCarty home on Third & Mackenzie Streets.

McCarty home on Third & Mackenzie Streets.

John Stone

Dates: b. Sweden, 1839 d. 22 April 1890

Cemetery location: Block C, Row 8, Plot 34 (angled burial)

Profile:

Mr. Stone came to Revelstoke in 1885 and established the Stockholm House Hotel (later the Oriental Hotel) on Front Street. He was running a boarding house and restaurant at Beavermouth during railway construction, and he sent his 16 year-old son, John Albert, ahead to check on the progress of the new hotel. John Albert took four days to walk through the rough construction road to Farwell in April of 1885.