Posts tagged #ss revelstoke

Henry Colbeck

SS Revelstoke at Downie Creek, 1905.

SS Revelstoke at Downie Creek, 1905.

Dates: b. England, 1869 d. Revelstoke, August 1949

Cemetery Location: Block A, Row 14, Plot 16

Profile:

One of Revelstoke’s earliest pioneers, Henry Colbeck came to the Okanagan from England in 1889, and based himself in Kelowna at a time when it was little more than a steamboat call. He found employment on the first steamboat to ply Okanagan Lake, later joining the crew on steamer ‘Penticton’, and then the ‘Aberdeen’ in 1892.

Henry’s work took him to all the inland lakes and rivers servicing the Canadian Pacific Railway, including Arrow Lakes and the Columbia River.

He worked as chief engineer on the ‘SS Revelstoke’, which operated north and south of Revelstoke from 1902 until 1914.  The Revelstoke Navigation Company built the steamboat in Nakusp to restore navigation to the Big Bend country. The rugged little boat had a freight capacity of 40 tons and was licensed to carry 10 passengers.

When he retired, Henry and his wife acquired farmland on the Big Bend Highway, just north of Revelstoke. He died at the age of 80, in August 1949.

Florence (Frank) McCarty

Revelstoke's first mayor, Frank McCarty.

Revelstoke's first mayor, Frank McCarty.

Dates: b. 1854 d. 1920

Cemetery location: Block H, Row 32, Plot 33

Profile:

McCarty and his wife Mary were born in Wisconsin, USA. They came to Canada in 1883, following the railway construction across the country. They lived at Laggan (Lake Louise) for a while, cutting fuel for the old wood burner locomotives.

By 1889, the McCartys were operating a boarding house on the hill above the CPR station. It was advertised as a temperance house with board and lodging at $5 per week. Individual meals were 25 cents and beds were 25 cents a night.

Frank McCarty ran a butcher shop, was involved in the mining business, and also a part owner of the SS Revelstoke.

Frank became Revelstoke’s first mayor after the city was incorporated in March 1899. They built their family home that year at the corner of Mackenzie Avenue and Third Street. He later ran a livery business and steam laundry and owned a 60 acre ranch across the Illecillewaet River. He died in June of 1920.

McCarty home on Third & Mackenzie Streets.

McCarty home on Third & Mackenzie Streets.