100 Years of the Revelstoke Legion

The Revelstoke Branch of the Royal Canadian Legion recently celebrated the 100th anniversary of their organization, but their origins go back even further.

The Great War, later to be known as World War I, raged in Europe from August 1914 until November 11, 1918. Revelstoke, along with so many other Canadian communities, felt the profound effects of that conflict. Out of a population of around 3,000, more than 800 men signed up for active service, with close to 100 of them giving their lives for their country.

The Great War Veterans’ Association Building with German machine gun on display, ca. 1920. P-5974.

In January of 1918, a local branch of the new Canadian organization, the Great War Veterans’ Association (GWVA), was formed, with 26 initial members. Although the war was still being fought, several men had already returned to Revelstoke, often due to war wounds or illness. They gathered to support each other, and one of their first acts was to erect a wooden cross over the grave of Emmanuel Warren, a returned soldier who had died in Queen Victoria Hospital on December 13, 1917 of Bright’s Disease, a kidney condition. The cross was later replaced by a stone military marker with the embossed maple leaf.

The GWVA were meeting in the original frame Queen Victoria Hospital, which had been moved from its original site to the lot now occupied by the current Legion building. The building had been constructed in 1902, and was moved in 1912 to allow for the construction of a new brick hospital. The GWVA purchased the building in 1923, and that same year, they arranged for the construction of the cenotaph, with the Ladies’ Auxiliary to the GWVA being instrumental in fundraising.

In 1920, the City of Revelstoke was presented with four German war trophies, including one large machine gun. The large gun was given to the GWVA for display outside of their building on First Street West. It remained there until August of 1943, when it was added to a scrap metal collection to be rendered down to build new armaments for World War II.

Revelstoke Branch of the Canadian Legion after renovations, showing the cenotaph, ca. 1960. P-3913.

In late 1925, the Canadian Legion of the British Empire was formed in Winnipeg, and branches were springing up across the country. It was formed to unite the various groups representing veterans throughout Canada. On April 13, 1936, a local branch of the Canadian Legion was formed in Revelstoke. Col. E.C. Edgett of Vernon gave information on the new organization and recommended the formation of a local branch. J.H. Munro was named President, and Walter Hardman was named Vice President. Munro posted an ad in the Revelstoke Review asking for all ex-servicemen to attend an enrollment meeting of the Canadian Legion on April 30th. Close to 100 men attended the first meeting and enrolled as members, paying a $2.00 fee.

An interim charter was granted by the Provincial Command. The first regular meeting of the Revelstoke Branch of the Canadian Legion was held on June 11th, where the interim officers were formally appointed. Enrollment was already up to 150 members at this point.

The Canadian Legion of the British Empire was formally incorporated by an Act of Parliament in Ottawa on July 17, 1926.

One of the first duties of the Revelstoke Branch was to organize the funeral of John S. Masson, a returned soldier who had served with the 16th Battalion Canadian Scottish, who died on October 14, 1926.

Members of the Ladies’ Auxiliary of the Revelstoke branch of the Canadian Legion, 1958. P-2339.

The Ladies Auxiliary to the Revelstoke branch of the Canadian Legion was formed in October of 1926, and Mrs. A.L. Jones was declared President. She was the wife of Dr. A.L. Jones, who had served as a medical officer during the war. The Auxiliary oversaw holding “tag days” to raise money, and organizing fundraising and social events. They held a Christmas party for 350 children and their parents in December of 1926.

The Canadian Legion became the Royal Canadian Legion in 1960, when Queen Elizabeth II granted it Royal patronage.

The Great War Veterans’ Association was folded into the Legion, and the Revelstoke Branch took over the building formerly used by the GWVA. It was later renovated, and continued to serve the local Legion until March 31, 1962, when it burned to the ground.

The Revelstoke Branch of the Legion began fundraising for a new building immediately, and were selling bonds to help finance it. They hired Allan Gray as architect, and President Nick Planden and Vice-President James English presided at the turning of the sod on August 20, 1962. The new building opened on January 11, 1963, in a ceremony president over by G.R. Pearkes, the Lieutenant Governor of British Columbia.

The number of World War II veterans in Canada has dwindled to only a few. For decades, they had been the backbone of the Legion. Revelstoke Legion continues to be alive and active, serving the community in a variety of ways. We congratulate them on this 100th anniversary and wish them many more years of service in Revelstoke.

The aftermath of the fire that destroyed the original Legion building, March 31, 1962. P-9188.

The new Legion building, 1963. P-9189.

Laura VanZantComment