Dates: b. Ontario, 1861, d. 1936
Cemetery Location: Block E, Row 1, Plot 61
Daniel and Margaret Campbell (nee McQuat) came to British Columbia in 1889, settling firstly in Beavermouth, where Dan worked for the local sawmill. In 1904, Dan, Maggie and their five children: Arthur, Percy, Leslie, Gladys and Gordon, moved to Revelstoke, settling at first in the Big Eddy.
In 1907, Dan purchased 51 acres east of Revelstoke on a bench overlooking the town. He built a homestead and barns, and established a small mixed farm with dairy cows, pigs, fruits and vegetables. By 1920, Daniel and sons Arthur and Leslie realized the potential for a dairy in Revelstoke. Their business, the Hillcrest Dairy, supplied the city with milk until 1956.
After Dan’s death in 1936, Arthur and Leslie became partners in the business, which they expanded through the purchase of adjoining properties. By 1954, the farm (primarily all dairying at this point) had grown to 1,600 acres.
When the Trans Canada Highway bisected the property west to east, it was no longer profitable to run the producer-vendor dairy business, and it was sold in 1956. (Parts of the property were sold for the Johnson Heights and KOA developments.)