Dates: b. Ontario, 1872 d. Victoria, 24 April 1950
Cemetery Location: Block G, Row 10, Plot 43
Albert Miller grew up on a farm near Port Perry, Ontario, before moving to Vancouver in 1899 to obtain his British Columbia teaching certification. He taught in Vancouver for 2½ years, before moving to Revelstoke to become the first principal of the new, red brick building in 1903.
In 1908, Albert was appointed inspector of schools for the Revelstoke district, and he continued in that capacity until 31 August 1939. Albert had a reputation as a strict disciplinarian, but maintained a keen interest in the progress of each of his students, even long after they had left school.
Albert was a keen hiker and climber, and at least once a year took his teachers up Mount Revelstoke for a tour of the meadows and lakes. Miller Lake on top of Mt Revelstoke bears his name.
Following retirement, Albert became active in local organizations and even operated the Revelstoke Tourist Bureau for one year. The Knights of Pythias selected him for the Good Citizen Award in 1946, for the ‘fundamental tenants of good citizenship’.
After several years of ill health, Albert’s wife Eva Bartley died on 19 January, 1946, and in the summer of that year, Albert moved to Victoria, B.C., after residing in Revelstoke for 43 years.
Prior to his death in 1950, Albert bequeathed two parcels of land to the City of Revelstoke for park and recreational purposes: Birchcliffe, close to Begbie Falls, and Kiwana Park, now part of Centennial Park.