The garden includes some heirloom plants, such as the lily of the valley that came from the garden of Eva Hobbs Parker, whose name graces Eva Lake in Mount Revelstoke National Park. Near the back of the garden is a pink rose that was developed in honour of David Thompson, who first explored this part of the Columbia River in 1811. A Revelstoke daylily, developed in Ontario by Henry Lorrain was named to mark the town where his sister lives. Native varieties include a western trillium and goatsbeard.
At the back of the garden are some vegetable varieties to mark the strong Italian tradition here, as well as strawberries and raspberries which were once grown here for the commercial market. The garden pillars were made from heritage bricks: the pillars at the front were constructed of bricks from the old brick Canadian Pacific Railway station and those at the back with bricks from the former Queen Victoria Hospital. The flagstones in the short walk at the front of the garden came from the McKenzie Quarry near Mount Begbie Falls.
Everyone is welcome to enjoy the garden whenever the museum is open. To arrange access to the garden outside of museum hours, please contact us.
The garden is maintained by a group of dedicated volunteers. If you wish to join them please let us know. They are always happy to find new people who wish to tend the garden.
The Heritage Garden was presented with an Award of Honour from the B.C. Heritage Society in 2005. Landscape Architect Barbara Johnstone Davidson and Curator Cathy English accepted the award on behalf of the Heritage Garden Committee.
Beebalm (Bergamot) Bergenia
David Thompson Rose
Lily of the Valley